When you are looking for bedding you might find that a mattress pad and a mattress topper appear very similar products, as these both appear to be small mattresses which go on top of your existing mattress.
However, this is not the case and it is important to think before you buy about the reasons for buying one or other of these bedding items.
If you bed is losing firmness and you want to top it up then you are looking for a mattress topper. These are thicker than mattress pads and come in highly firm and supportive materials such as visco memory foam.
If you want to protect the mattress from spills, stains and any other type of damage, then a mattress pad is what you are after. You can still buy firm products such as a memory foam mattress pad but these are generally thinner than the mattress toppers and as such won’t offer as much support to the sleeper.
The model of egg crate mattress is one of the most traditional types of mattress pad and has long been used for medical purpose, to ease the suffering of back pain in patients. One side of the pad is completely smooth and the other has bumps and dip just like an egg crate. Modern materials such as visco memory foam are taking a lot more of the market share these days but the egg crate design remains popular and is seen by some as being more flexible than other types of pad, and it is certainly a good choice for purchasers working to a tight budget.
The electric mattress pad is another of the mattress pads which you will most likely find on offer online. These work like electric blankets in warming you up during these long, cold winter nights.
If you are looking for a bit of extra protection for your mattress then a foam mattress pad can be a great way of doing this at a low price.
This can also be a cheap way of injecting a bit of life into an old mattress which has seen better days, so in this article we will look at a few different models which can be bought online for reasonable prices. You will quite possibly find cheaper models than these but we have opted for showing really good quality options.
1. Sleep Studio 3-Inch ViscO2 Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Full Size. This is actually a foam mattress topper, which are generally a bit thicker than pads although most people class the two types together, and costs $110, so it certainly isn’t one of the cheapest models around. Although this is the full size mattress model there are different sizes avaiable at different prices, ranging from $90 for a twin mattress to $200 for the California King model. This is a memory foam mattress topper, so it will give you a firmer support than you may be used to with a traditional spring mattress or mattress topper.
2. King 3 Inch Soft Sleeper 2.5 100% Foam Mattress Pad, Bed Topper, Overlay Made From 100% Soft Sleeper Pressure Sensitive Foam. This models costs $60 online, although the list price is substantially higher. This is a good quality addition to your mattress for an excellent price, especially when you consider this it is for a king size mattress and that it comes with a 100 night trial and a 10 year warranty.
3.Twin XL 3 Inch Soft Sleeper 5.5 100% Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad made from 100% visco memory foam. At $60 for the twin mattress pad this is more expensive than the previous model but it is undoubtedly a higher quality product, as shown by the original list price.
Bad back sufferers are now faced with a wide choice of potential solutions, and among them are the memory foam mattress pad and the gel mattress. Memory foam is also sometimes known as NASA space foam or visco memory foam, and it is made from polyurethane. These are both fairly modern types of bedding which have been produced following years of scientific research.
Let’s look at a few of the differences between the two of them:
1. Price. As these both use modern, cutting edge technology it is still quite pricey for buying a full mattress in either material, with many models running into the thousands of dollars. What many people now choose to do is buy a mattress pad or topper instead. These are like thin mattresses which are laid on top of your existing mattress. Obviously you don’t get the full effect which you would the entire memory foam mattress or gel filled mattress, but it is a much more economical way of trying out new technology and deciding if it suits you.
3. Durability. The gel mattress is reported to last at least 20 years, and the memory foam version often comes with a similar warranty period. If you go for the mattress pad option in either material then you should expect it not to last as long.
4. Support. This is the key point really if you are looking for a back pain mattress, and unfortunately you will find a wide range of different opinions on these materials. Generally speaking, the memory foam mattress pads will give you a really firm support, and they often mold to your body better in warm weather conditions. The gel option is also among the firmer beds you will find and with both models there are people who love them and others who just can’t get used to the sleeping position.
5. Other factors. You will find that both smell a bit funny upon arrival. This is due to the chemicals involved in the manufacturing process and will go away after a few days.
Being laid up in bed for a long time is a thoroughly unpleasant experience. Apart from the boredom and the lack of physical and mental exercise there is also the risk of medical complaints such as bed sores, poor circulation and a bad back. While modern technology has given us portable entertainment such as laptops, wireless Internet and mp3 players which can help relieve the boredom a little you may not be aware that it has also come up a couple of mattress ideas, such as the memory mattress pad, which might also help you avoid the worst of the medical conditions commonly found in bedridden patients.
Here are a few different ways of helping your time in bed be a little bit less painful:
1. Memory foam mattress or memory mattress pad. This is a mattress, or in the case of the pad a thin mattress overlay, which is made of visco elastic foam, and is also known as a space foam mattress due to NASA’s role in developing the material. This gives a really firm lying position and molds to your body. In fact, some of its first non NASA uses were in medical situations. A full mattress can be prohibitively expensive, so memory mattress pads are chosen instead by many users.
2. Gel mattress or gel mattress pad. This is another firm bed, and also eliminates bed sores and helps improve circulation by eliminating pressure points and giving a well balanced, even support. It is also sold either as a full mattress or as an overlay pad, which is sometimes called a gel mattress topper.
3. Sheepskin mattress pad. This is a more natural, organic mattress solution than the previous two. As well as giving a well distributed support sheepskin mattress pads are also great at keeping you warm and absorbing moisture.
A heated mattress pad is simply a mattress pad overlay which you put on top of your bed and switch on when you want some extra heating. While the concept is simple there are a number of different models, so we will look at some of the benefits here and point out some of the different features you might find:
1. To keep you warm. Of course a heated mattress pad is going to keep you warm if you switch it on. This is a much simpler and more effective way of getting through those chilly winter nights than hot water bottles, layers of blankets and electric blankets. The most expensive models, such as the Sunbeam heated mattress pad range, will give you a pre heat option, the opportunity to heat only one side of the bed and an auto control.
2. To ease aches and strains. Lying in a warm bed is one of the best ways to let your muscles relax and recover. You shouldn’t look at heated mattress pads as being miracle cures but they can help you feel better if your body is a bit stiff and sore.
3. Comfort. Heated mattress pads come in many types of material and finding the most comfortable one for you might take a little bit of online shopping. Reading customer comments and mattress reviews can be a big help in choosing the right model. The most common material is cotton with a polyester backing, and some are hypoallergenic.
4. Safety. A good pad will have the wiring all safely tucked and protected away and will have easy to use controls and clear safety instructions.
5. Choice of sizes. You can the perfect fit by choosing the right size for your mattress. Make sure that you measure your mattress dimensions before ordering one, to make sure that you don’t make the fairly common mistake of ordering the wrong size and having to return the product.
Putting a waterproof mattress pad onto you or your child’s is no longer an embarrassing situation, as this type of mattress pad
now comes in a variety of colors and styles which look anything like the dreadful plastic sheets which were once used.
Many people feel the need to look for this sort of protection for their mattresses and we have noted below some of the top reason for this.
1. Kid’s accidents. This is undoubtedly the main reason for buying waterproof mattress pads. It is a simple and practical way to ensure that the little accidents that are a part on any child’s night time do not have a lasting effect on their bed mattress. If you child is a boy over 5 or a girl over 4 then their bed wetting should really have stopped and it may be worth looking up some of the handy advice and tips available on the Internet if they carry on after this age.
2. Adult incontinence. There are a number of reasons why this could happen later in life, and fitting a waterproof mattress pad is a good way of minimizing the effects on your life.
3. Sweating. It is clear that some people perspire (as the saying goes, “horses sweat, men perspire and ladies only glow”) more than others at night time. If you find this to be a problem you may be tempted to put a waterproof pad on the mattress to avoid staining it. As the pad is removable you can take it off when the colder weather begins, if the weather is the problem.
4. Spills. People who like to have breakfast in bed or who are fond of a few glasses while watching TV in the evening might like to consider the idea of making their mattress waterproof and stain resistant. The problem of spillages can be more acute if you have a low bed or floor mattress.
An electric mattress pad is a form of heated mattress pad which gives you a lovely, warm bed in demand. The different models sold online all come with different features, and here are a few of the most common ones:
1. Dual controls and zoned heating. These controls let you warm your feet more than the rest of you or, in the bigger sizes such as the cal king mattress, will give you the option of heating one side of the bed more than the other.
2. Pre heat. In a cold winter’s evening it is recommended that you warm the bed up before entering.
3. Auto control. You can choose a program on some models which will let you enjoy the mattress pad when you need it and then have it switch itself off.
4. Material. Most of the inexpensive models are made of polyester, while paying a bit more will let you choose from a cotton mattress pad or a polyester / cotton mix. If you are an allergy sufferer then look for a hypoallergenic model.
5. Thin wiring. If you have used old fashioned electric blankets or electric mattress pads you may be expecting an uncomfortable night shifting about on top of wires. This shouldn’t now be the case though, as good, modern pads use thin wiring which you won’t feel.
6. Warranty. As this is not a particularly expensive piece of bedding you may struggle to find one with a good warranty. However, working on the basis that the majority of faults happen in the first few months of use, a 1 year guarantee is much better than none at all.
7. Money back period. Many Internet vendors are aware that choosing this type of product is very difficult online, and subsequently offer a 30, 60 or 90 “trial” period in which you can return the electric mattress pad and get your money back. It is a good idea to throroughly check and test the mattress pad for defects and for suitability during this period.
Browse top selective deals and offers for your home and office decoration.
Fill the form below and our sales expert will contact you within next 24hr
Subcribe to our weekly newslater and deals updates on new home furnishing deals and products.